- Fitness 3 
- Strength +1
- Coordination 2 
- Dexterity +1
- Reaction +1
- Intellect 2 
- Perception +1
- Logic -1
- Presence 3 
- Empathy -2
- Psi 0 
- Athletics (Gymnastics) 1 (2)
- Culture (Suchaki) 2 (3)
- History (Suchaki) 1 (2)
- Suchaki 2
- World Knowledge (Suchaka IV) 1 (2)
- Typical Advantages/Disadvantages
- Excellent Chemoreception +2, Slow Healing -2, Poor Hearing -1, Zero-G Training +2, Armour (4 points) +8
- Special Abilities
- Their bodies are covered by boron nitride (BN), a near-diamond strength material (Mohs
hardness 9.5), which provides Armor +4 (physical), +2 (energy). They possess a magnetic
detection organ, a necessary adaptation to detect lava movement and to predict
planetquakes. They can produce local strong electrical arc currents on exterior surface
through velvety shell covering, which is used to form their exterior BN shell, but is
useless as a weapon. Their BN-covered forearms can be used as Clubs (Acc 6, Blk 1, Dmg
- Size: Roughly as tall as a 10-year old human (125 cm), comparable mass.
- Homeworld: Suchaka IV
- Home Region: the Suchaka system, exploration teams have extended to nearby systems.
- White, chitinous armor, protected sense organs in head, insect-like body
structure, large lung in abdomen (inhale methane, exhale hydrogen). Walk on four legs, two
arms with zygodactyl claws (like a parrot's foot, two sets of two digits). Shell
vulnerable to alkali solutions. They grow by creating a velvet-like excretion which
dissolves the shell of the inside and reforms it in a ihgh ambient current enivornment,
similar to the way that deer grow their antlers. Their velvet also acts as an insulator to
prevent fires in the highly-flammable atmosphere. Since the Suchakan atmosphere scatters
most visible light, they use active high-frequency sonar to "see." They have a
strong sense of balance.
The Suchaki must be careful to eat enough foods to produce the correct enzymes to allow
them to function at incredible speeds (well, incredible for their environment, normal
speed to us). Without a good diet, a Suchaki would function at about sloth speed. In
today's society, only those Suchaki who are designated guards in a herd function at such
life-shortening speeds. (A Suchaki who is hasted would be like a human on adrenaline --
all the time.) However, such speed was necessary to avoid becoming a casualty in a natural
- Cultural Notes: Suchaki form herds, and attract each other not for sexual reasons, but for
mutual protection. They create decorative horn structures along their bodies through a
combination of self-immolation (produce velvet) and banzai (shape growth). Colors are
obtained by ingesting a variety of organic substances which contain trace elements. The
Suchaki reproduce through internal fertilization. Their seed pods are excreted with a
velvet covering out the abdomen and protected by a low-level electric field. After a time,
the velvet eats a hole through the cocoon and a youngling emerges. After a few years, the
Suchaki harvest the survivors, kidnap them, and hopefully assimilate them into their
Suchaka, their sun, is becoming more active, and is depriving the planet of needed boron.
This has led to an evolutionary spurt, creature cannabalizing boron from another. The
Suchaki are lucky; they already had the BN coating to prevent heat loss. The Suchaki
sprung to sentience when predators, in particular horse-sized aracnoid pouncing
alkali-spitters developed hominid-level intelligence. Even with their advanced technology,
the Suchaki have not yet been able to destroy these spiders, who may or may not be
sentient themselves. Combine them with the volatile weather and you get a intense hatred
to nature. The Suchaki would say that their gods have turned against them.
Due to their chitinous shells, the Suchaki have little sense of touch, so they compensate
by methodically looking around. It is subconscious, but make them look very busy, swoosing
their heads from side to side in 4/4 time.
- [Star Trek has talked about basically two particles associated with space/subspace
interations, the tetryon and the verteron. Based on technical discussions (Joshua Bell's
Subspace FAQ, most notably), I'm supposing here that the tetryon strengthens subspace
interactions, and verterons weaken them.]
Suchaki ships blink-warp, like a stone skipping in and out of subspace. Their warp
generators create verterons, which immediately destabilize the warp field. Suchaki warp
theory says one cannot create an opening into subspace without creating verterons, so it
is considered a dead-end technology. Suchaki ships can reach a maximum of about Warp 1.44
(3 times light). They use an odd consequence of high-level gravitomagnetism to create a
subspace rift. By doing this continuously, they can skip through subspace. They sense
their way by sending out an echolocation beam of verterons. (As a consequence, Federation
warp fields are useless in Suchaki spacelanes.) They have a theory which will allow them
to build jump gates (Treknology uncertain right now), but gates are only on the drawing
The Suchaki communicate through gravitics waves in a sort of telegraph network. Huge
space-borne listening stations would allow interstellar communications, though none have
been built as of yet.
Suchaki ships are armed with lasers and railguns. Ground forces use railguns as well,
propelling slugs through armor. Arc-lasers are also used, in which a laser creates a path
for an electrical arc. Such a beam will stun a Suchaki, but would fry a human. Masers see
demolition and armor-busting use only due to their long wavelengths and the scattering
effects of the atmosphere.
The Federation would be well advised to equip cognizent Away Teams with sonic grenades or
some other sonar-disrupting effect. Enemies are advised to employ hit-and-run tactics with
lots of zigging and zagging, possibly with an alkali analogy to "Greek fire".
Phasers would be partially effective, but the Suchaki have natural protection due to the
insulative qualities of BN.
- System Name: Suchaka
- Affiliation: Independent
- System Type: K6 V
- Inhabited Planets: Suchaka IV (Class G, NH3), Suchaka IVa (Class F, atmospheric gear),
Suchaka V (Class D, domes)
- Other Planets: 11 in all, unremarkable (5 Class J, other Class F)
- Other Stellar Objects: (to be determined)
- SIS: "Home system to first-known sentient methane-breathers, uncertain to their place
in the galaxy."
- Where located? In the Hinterlands, a previously ignored section of space under the
Federation nearest the Cardassians.
- How does sector interact? Previously unknown
- What species/cultures dominate? Suchaki
- Unusual phenomenon? Epsilon Uchanis, a Lazarus star, is in the far corner of the sector.
- Suchaka IV
- Class G
- System Data: Large, class F moon (native name Estalba) orbits extrememly close to planet.
- Otherwise unremarkable.
- Gravity: 1.2 g
- Year/Day: about 500 / 28 hours
- Atmosphere: Ammonia-based with high concentrations of methane. Sea level pressure: 0.8
atmospheres. It is remarkably efficient at screening cosmic rays, although this protection
is eroding as the planet warms up. As a side effect, much of the planet's surface boron is
being converted into carbon.
- Ammonosphere: 57%, falling
- Climate: hot and wet (for a ammonia world)
- Sapient Species: Suchaki, 750 million
- Tech Classification: Level 5, borderline 6. Much more below.
- Government: Feudal
- Culture: Cooperative structure, nature is the enemy
- Affiliation: Independent
- Resources: Meager in-system
- Places of note: Geophysicist's paradise. If it's nasty, it's here. Extreme gravitational
effects by Estalba, causing tectonic stress, volatile tides, unstable air currents
including strong vortices and lightning, which ignites the atmosphere and produces
sweeping firestorms. Think a toxic Genesis planet.
- Ship Facilities: On Estalba, but not suitable for non-Suckhaki ships.
- Editor's Notes
- This race is of non-canon origin and is an original design. Requisite background skills and Armor advantage added to bring Template up to 50 points.
- Submitted by Charles Durfee